As investors inflation can be our friend and increase the value of our properties (if we own the right type of property – high growth properties.)
Recently leading property researcher and CEO of Rismark International suggested we’re in a perfect storm for an inflationary environment.
In a recent blog Joye says- think about it:
- We have the No. 1 and No. 2 economies in the world growing at above trend;
- We have the biggest private investment boom in modern history;
- We have full, and falling, employment;
- We have a more rigid labour market than pre-2007/08;
- We have had a sustained fall in productivity;
- We have reduced immigration creating more skills shortages just when we need more skills;
- We have irrefutable evidence of accelerating wages growth to inflationary levels;
- We have an external oil price shock, which will raise inflation expectations;
- We have an unprecedented commodity price boom, which has been very inflationary in the past;
- We have imported core trading partner inflation;
- We have an AUD that has possibly come close to maxing out;
- Today we learned that in 2012 we will have carbon price inflation; and
- We have significant internal price shocks care of tragic natural disasters raising headline inflation, and boosting consumer expectations of future inflation.
Joye then asks what are the possible mitigants that could stave off inflation?
- Maybe the AUD, but unlikely;
- Maybe prolonged consumer conservatism, but this is unlikely;
- Maybe China and India blowing up, but unlikely in the near-term;
- Maybe a much tigher May budget (a possibility);
- Maybe labour market flexibility, but unlikely;
- Maybe productivity, but unlikely.
Joye then concluded that you should invest in assets that are:
(a) a good inflation hedge, and
(b) a good hedge against a collapse in commodity prices and the resources boom, and which benefit from a radical reduction in high interest rates, when it comes.
Source: Christopher Joye’s blog
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.