How much is that property worth?
You want to buy that property at the best price you can and obviously the vendor wants the highest price they can achieve.
So how would an independent valuer decide the right price?
Your Investment Property Magazine makes these 10 suggestions:
- Be realistic and objective – don’t let your heart rule your head. This is business.
- Research your market – This is the cornerstone of understanding value. Take your time, talk to local agents, go to auctions and jump on the internet. Informed decisions pay off.
- Carry out a thorough inspection – measure the home’s dimensions, turn on the taps, look at the stumps and walk the boundary. Look for every positive and negative you can.
- Seek independent information – estimated projections on rising values and rentals from the organisation selling you the property are worthless. Seek actual information from local independent professionals and try to substantiate any information yourself.
- Position, position and what was the other thing? Never ignore the basics. If it’s on a train line or next to an arterial road, it will be trouble. Look at the surroundings.
- Compare like with like – try and find comparables as similar as possible to the subject. These will be your beacon.
- Think like a local – if everyone in the street wants lock up car accommodation, make sure your property doesn’t buck the trend.
- Watch for overcapitalisation – a half court tennis court may seem like a good idea, but unless the owner is raising a Tomic, most buyers will find it next to worthless. Be honest about what it really adds.
- Think land, dwelling, ancillaries – breaking down the property into its parts can help you see the whole.
- Use recent comparables – if you’re using sales from a year ago when the market was booming, you are relying on false evidence. Keep it current.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of michael yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to michael yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.