Westpac recently released an upbeat forecast for house prices in the next couple of years and just like the CBA has backtracked from it’s more pessimistic outlook and predicts house prices rebounding from mid next year.
Westpac expects Brisbane house prices to surge 20 per cent over two years after the market bottoms out in mid-2021, while Sydney prices could climb 14 per cent and Melbourne prices are predicted to lift by 12 per cent fuelled by record low interest rates and freely available credit.
Here’s Westpac Chief Economist Bill Evan’s thoughts…
Now before you get too carried away…
Currently, many economists who predicted significant price falls are revising their previously more bearish forecasts.
Well firstly remember there isn’t one property market so broad-brush forecast like this can be misleading.
Each of our cities has a number of markets broken up by location (for example CBD, in the suburban, middle ring suburbs in our suburban); type of dwelling (apartments, townhouses, villa units and houses); new and established properties and different price points.
Clearly not all these markets will perform the same.
However, Westpac sees the recovery in our property markets being supported by sustained low rates, which are likely to be even lower than current levels; ongoing support from regulators; substantially improved affordability; sustained fiscal support from both federal and state governments; and a strengthening economic recovery.
And remember…these lenders have access to a significant database of information and understand what’s happening out in the world of mortgages.
They can see that those who took a mortgage holiday are now beginning to repay their loans and more importantly they’re seeing new home lending increasing.
Here’s how the property cycle will play out
Westpac sees four distinct phases of the housing outlook.
- Price falls in response to the initial COVID shock – which, apart from Melbourne, are largely behind us.
- Relatively stable prices in the December and March quarters, with gains possible in some markets although Melbourne will still be experiencing falls in the December quarter.
- A minor softening in prices through the June and September quarters in 2021 as lenders gradually ease back loan deferrals while seeking to avoid significant market disturbance.These efforts will be supported by ultra–easy monetary and fiscal policy; regulatory support; and ongoing economic growth. Nevertheless, there will be ‘pockets’ of weakness associated with inner–city high– rise markets in Sydney and Melbourne and those overstretched borrowers who will be exposed by the failure of their underlying businesses.
- The fourth phase will span at least two years when distressed loans from deferrals have worked through the system – and prices react strongly to ongoing low rates; improved affordability; a strengthening economic recovery and policy stimulus.
Dwelling prices are expected to lift by 15% over this two–year period.
Here’s what CBA have to say
CBA was the first of the big 4 banks to upgrade their outlook for our property markets and are now expecting a peak-to-trough decline of more like 5%, which to me suggests there is very little further downside.
New lending for housing rose again in August.
A recovery in lending is one factor behind our view that dwelling prices will fall only modestly over the next 6 months.
And we expect dwelling prices to rise solidly in ..the second half of 2021.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you’re wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.