Two minute read, three including the video
- 50 to 74 years
- 2.1 people per household
- 92% no children at home
- 71% couples or living alone
- A projected 24% of total new housing demand over next decade (again, like yesterday’s Missive, for the Brisbane outer suburbs)
As their title suggests, many want to move into something smaller and, if possible, in their existing neighbourhood.
- Low maintenance
- Like-minded residents
- Small scale projects and/or in the more…
- Secluded areas within a housing estate/neighbourhood
Preferred housing options:
- 10% to 20% – spacious apartments (inner city)
- 30% to 40% – townhouses/duplexes and similar multi-housing products (middle-ring suburbs)
- 30% to 40% – detached-based homes (mostly outer suburbs)
What most buy?
- Quality build and finish
- Well-priced – value for money – usual rule of thumb is that they need at least a 20% ‘jingle’ in their pocket between the sale of their existing home and the price of their downsized abode
- Privacy and security
- Parking and storage
- Space for visitors and grandchildren
Something to think about
Also, many downsizers are now looking for a home that is capable of taking in a tenant/s to help them live a more fruitful retirement – additional income and/or ability to travel and have someone ‘looking after’ their home whilst away.
Dual+ occupancy homes – two or more separated residences (yet, often under one roof) on one title – have increasing appeal.
This caters for not only tenants, but the extended family and in time, the potential need to have a carer live onsite.
Such a dwelling arrangement has increasing appeal to an investor on future resale – more rent/yield based decision – as well as an owner-resident, given the likely trends outlined a few weeks ago.
A picture is worth a thousand words – more so if the picture is a great one.
Better still is having the right furniture in the shot.
And even better than that is a floor plan.
We have secured 100 copies of the latest edition of Michael Matusik’s Capital Cities Market Outlook Report” for just $99 plus GST.
This is a 33% saving for readers of Property Update!
Please hurry, as we have been allocated limited numbers of these reports at this price. Please click here now to secure your report and use the code: YARDNEY2017
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
NEED HELP LISTENING TO MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST FROM YOUR PHONE OR TABLET?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.