613 Suburbs Reach Million Dollar Median Value


Six hundred and thirteen suburbs (see attached list) in Australia now boast a median value of at least $1million, up by 29 per cent over the year according to research by CoreLogic to June 2016.

Houses, with 570 suburbs listed (93%), dominated the million dollar median group while the remaining 43 (7%) were for units.

We noted a significant rise in suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million over recent years.

In fact, the number of suburbs has increased by 125% over the past 3 years.

Pulse 1a


Pulse 2a
Tasmania was the only state in Australia where no suburbs reached a median value of at least $1 million.

In New South Wales, the proportion of suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million has increased over time from 59.7% of national suburbs in 2008 to 68
.2% in both 2015 and 2016.

Victoria also increased its proportion of million dollar suburbs from 13.6% in 2008 to 16.6% in 2016. 


Queensland and Western Australia experienced a large decline in the proportions of suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million between 2008 and 2016.

The data highlights the bracket creep that has occurred over the housing growth cycle, and how housing affordability in NSW (Sydney) and to a lesser degree Vic (Melbourne) has deteriorated.

An increasing number of suburbs in these two states now have a median value of at least $1 million.

As shown in the chart below, the top 25 suburbs achieving the highest median values are those located in prime locations such as Sydney’s waterfront and the inner-city suburbs.

Toorak with a number 9 ranking and Peppermint Grove ranked number 17, are the only two suburbs shown that are not located in Sydney.

Pulse 3

For units, Sydney’s Dawes Point is the only suburb to make into the list of top 25.housing growth house price property market

Outside of NSW, Vic and WA, the most expensive Qld suburb is Tenerife with a median house value of $1,644,643, SA most expensive suburb is Springfield with a median house value of $1,737,499, NT most expensive suburb is Larrakeyah with a median house value of $1,196,987 and ACT most expensive suburb is Forrest with a median value of $2,067,813 for houses.

While overall housing demand may be slowing a little, we expect that with historic low interest rates, demand for premium housing is set to remain buoyant over the coming year.

Subsequently we would expect in 12 months’ time even more suburbs to have a median value of at least $1 million.



Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast

Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.

Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?

We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.


Prefer to subscribe via email?

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.

Avatar for Property Update


Cameron Kusher is Corelogic RP Data’s senior research analyst. Cameron has a thorough understanding of the fundamentals such as demographics, trends & economics. Visit www.corelogic.com.au

'613 Suburbs Reach Million Dollar Median Value' have no comments

Be the first to comment this post!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.


Michael's Daily Insights

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers.

NOTE: this daily service is a different subscription to our weekly newsletter so...