It’s often said you make your money when you buy your property and while that is true, it’s not because you buy a property cheaply, it’s because you purchase the right property.
In our current hot Sydney and Melbourne property markets there is an abundance of cashed up home buyers and investors ready to buy good properties, so I would suggest not trying to buy a cheap property but to concentrate on correct property selection and buying an investment grade property to which you can add value through renovations, thereby manufacturing some extra capital growth.
Having said that, it is important not to overpay and of course it’s always nice to buy well, so here are some tips to help you negotiate well:
- Have as much information as you can before you begin negotiating:
- Become a local area expert – get to know not just asking prices, but what is selling, how fast it’s selling and what price it sells for. This means attend as many open for inspections as you can and follow up to see when the property sells and for how much. Of course you should also attend as many auctions as you can to feel the pulse of the local market.
- Find out as much as you can about the property you’re interested in – ask questions – why is the vendor sellingselling, how did the vendor decide on the price, have there been any other offers?
- Have your support team on standby – your solicitor & finance broker. If you have your finance preapproved you can make quick and unconditional offers and it’s important to have a solicitor who is able to peruse the contract quickly.
- Be prepared to act quickly – the amount of people at an open house inspection will give you an indication of if the property is hot! Close the sale after the first open home if possible – the more people who are exposed to a property the more likely it is for the property price to go up.
- Don’t waste time with low ball offers – sellers are well informed today. Do your research and put in an offer that is realistic and enticing to the vendor and take the property off the market before an emotional purchaser pushes the price too high.
- If the property is being sold by auction, consider making a reasonable offer in the week leading up to auction day. This is when the vendor is most nervous and will often considered a realistic offer rather than taking their chances at auction. And you may be able to purchase the property at a price you’re happy with rather than risking the price being pushed by emotional purchasers in competition with each other at an auction.
- Use the property buyers’ secret weapon – engage an experienced buyer’s agent to level the playing field for you.
Sure I’m biased but I’ve seen too many investors lose out by not recognizing a good deal when they see one, while others have paid a huge learning fee to the market by overpaying for a property.
Then there are those buyers who have ended up with secondary properties than will underperform because they bought emotionally or on the rebound after losing out on a different deal.
Buying your next home or an investment property in this hot market is difficult considering the completion you’ll be facing.
The seller has an agent on his side working for him.
Why shouldn’t you have the same advantage?
The challenge with buying in a hot market when the competition is stiff is that it can bring about a range of situations that play with your emotions.
Hopefully these six tips will help you keep a level head.
SO WHAT WILL BE YOUR NEXT STEP?
Are you going to take advantage of the property markets in 2017 or are you going to get caught by the traps ahead?
If so and you’re looking for independent advice, no one can help you quite like the independent property investment strategists at Metropole.
Remember the multi award winning team of property investment strategists at Metropole have no properties to sell, so their advice is unbiased.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned property investor, we would love to help you formulate an investment strategy or do a review of your existing portfolio, and help you take your property investment to the next level.
Please click here to organise a time for a chat. Or call us on 1300 20 30 30.
When you attend our offices you will receive a free copy of my latest 2 x DVD program Building Wealth through Property Investment in the new Economy valued at $49.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of michael yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to michael yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.