Want to know who the richest property tycoons around the world are?
Well…there not from Australia, but the recently released BRW Rich 200 list showed that once again real estate is the vehicle that has created fortunes for many Australians.
More than one quarter of those on this year’s rich list made them money from property, and many of the others stored it in real estate.
Looking back over the years no matter how the Australian economy changes, the Rich 200 has always been dominated by the property entrepreneurs.
This year property developer Harry Triguboff had the biggest rise in wealth, up $4.73 billion bringing his total wealth to $10.23 billion helped along by our hot real estate markets.
Fourth on the list is Frank Lowy (of Westfield) who has grown his wealth by $700 million bringing his total wealth is $7.84 billion.
Hui Wing Mau, a Hong-Kong based billionaire, is fifth.
However Australia’s richest property billionaire Harry Triguboff is the 22nd richest real estate billionaire in the world according to Forbes and Frank Lowy is 27th on the Forbes list.
The world’s most successful real estate tycoon is Hong Kong’s Lee Shau Kee, who comes in at number 27 in the 2015 Forbes Billionaires List with an estimated worth of US$24.8 billion.
10 of the top 20 richest real estate billionaires come from Hong Kong or mainland China, and Lee is active in both markets.
In fact the vast majority of those billionaires (96 out of 157) come from the Asia-Pacific.
The US comes in second with 33 property billionaires, and Europe can claim 19.
Forbes top 20 real estate billionaires:
1. Lee Shau Kee, Hong Kong, US$24.8 billion
2. Wang Jianlin, China, US$24.2 billion
3. Thomas and Raymond Kwok, Hong Kong, US$15.9 billion
4. Donald Bren, US, US$15.2 billion
5. Cheng Yu-tung, Hong Kong, US$14.4 billion
6. David and Simon Reuben, UK, US$13.7 billion
7. Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, UK, US$12.6 billion
8. Joseph Lau, Hong Kong, US$10.9 billion
9. Robert and Philip Ng, Singapore, US$9.6 billion
10. Pan Sutong, Hong Kong, US$8.6 billion
11. Peter Woo, Hong Kong, US$8.6 billion
12. Charles Cadogan and Family, UK, US$7.2 billion
13. Walter Kwok, Hong Kong, US$7 billion
14. Stephen Ross, US, US$6.5 billion
15. Richard LeFrak and Family, US$6.4 billion
16. Stan Kroenke, US, US$6.3 billion
17. Majid Al Futtaim, United Arab Emirates, US$6.2 billion
18. Hui Ka Yan, China, US$6.2 billion
19. Chan Laiwa and Family, China, US$6.1 billion
20. Lin Yu-lin, Taiwan, US$5.7 billion
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.