I had some interesting feedback recently from one of staff and what a prospective tenant said at an open home.
When discussing nearby rental – the tenant exclaimed, “XYZ Realty!, I wouldn’t rent with them”.
I mean we have all heard of nightmare tenants and the yearly stories on A Current Affair, but what about nightmare agents who don’t fulfill their obligations to tenants and the shocking attitude and non-existent service?
The main concern for tenants is repairs being done in a timely manner – the work can be neglected for months at a time and on some occasions it can be essential equipment like a stove.
Imagine living without a stove for an extended period.
The next is a lack of respect for their rights and privacy – they are entitled to at least 24 hours’ notice of any inspection.
But the amount of times this basic right has been denied leaves tenant exasperated.
If we want respect we must give respect but it seems in some offices all the respect is used for the owners and all the disdain for tenants.
As property investors we cannot exist without tenants – so let’s treat our tenants how we would want to be treated.
Signs your agency may not be treating your tenants right:
- Constant vacating of the premises when condition and rent are not the problem
- Lengthy maintenance delays
- Poor communication follow up
- Revolving door of property managers
- Routine inspections missed or not done in a systematic way
- Tenants trying to contact you directly to avoid the offices neglect of their concern.