The Independent reports that the average child in the UK will cause £5,000 damage in their parents’ homes by the time they reach 18.
Apparently 3 year olds are the most destructive, according to the ‘True Cost of a Child’ report.
It lists the most common damage caused at home as:
- Spilling food and drink on the carpets (63%)
- Smashing plates and crockery (35%)
- Drawing and painting on the walls (33%)
- Breaking vases, pictures and photo frames (24%)
- Tearing wallpaper from the walls (22%)
- Jumping on beds until they break (15%)
- Breaking windows playing sports in the garden (10%)
- Damaging the TV playing computer games (9%)
- Putting food and drink in electrical objects (7%)
- Hiding valuables in the washing machine (6.6%)
The report shows that after the age of 10, levels of household destruction gradually fall until children reach 16 at which point the damage levels start to rise once again.